Re: some more questions on the control center shell, etc

On Wed, 2007-01-24 at 17:43 +0000, Thomas Wood wrote:
> Calum Benson wrote:

> >> this is #1 priority for 2.19/2.20 development, so if you have any idea,
> >> please bring it to us.
> >
> > Of course if we'd tackled that problem first, we might not have needed
> > to switch back to a shell at all :/
>
> Change back? I thought people had agreed that in the long run the menus
> were not a good idea, and that a usable shell was much nicer?
>
> The current shell is not perfect and it still has issues that need to be
> ironed out, but I don't think that any blocker issues cannot be resolved
> before release. Are we suggesting that even if we had a perfect shell,
> it would still not be more usable and accessible as using a menu?

I have two disappointments with the shell.  The first is the increased
length of time it takes for me to load a capplet.  For instance, when I
switch networks, I have to load the shell (which takes its dear sweet
time) and then find the proxy icon and then load the capplet. I've timed
it and it takes between 10-12 seconds including my time hunting down the
icon.  The menu takes about 2 seconds.  This is on a 2GHz Core Duo with
2GB memory.

Granted, the real problem with this scenario is that my proxy doesn't
just switch automatically with my network.  And yes, I can cut down the
time to about 5 seconds if I search for "proxy" when the shell loads.
But still, a 2.5x to 6x slowdown is a regression in my book.  I think it
would be far better to just trim down the number of capplets.

My second disappointment is much less tangible than speed: I no longer
have the ability to easily distinguish between preferences or settings.
Which of these utilities affects users other than myself?  I liked that
separation in the old menu.  Of course, that is just my personal
opinion.

Nathaniel