Re: Desktop Session Presence Manager

Galaga does seem to have what it takes, but if it doesn't quite meet Alex's needs, I'd suggest extending Galaga rather than reinventing the wheel. I looked at Galaga a few months ago when I was considering how to notify IM applications and other desktop applications that "I'm not here" so that, for example on thin clients:

  When I pull my smart card out, I'd like GAIM to mark me as "Away"
When I pull my smart card out, I'd like GNOME stock ticker and other screen update applications to slow their refresh rate or otherwise reduce their resource and network bandwidth usage.

For this I think there needs to be an interface to indicate local presence which doesn't rely on any instant messaging client running. Could Galaga be made to read a /desktop/gnome/presence gconf key if no IM client is running? Or would it be better to makd the /desktop/gnome/presence gconf key the focal point for presence and have Galaga write to that?