Re: application specific themeable icons

>This is just not true. The way the automation works, is that it doesn't
>use all of the detail of the original icon. It does add a little more
>work to creating the icons, but not as much as actually creating an
>entirely separate theme. What you do is use certain names for elements
>in the icon, and the automation code ignores other elements and only
>shows the appropriate paths, for the type of a11y icon needed.
>
>You really should look into what he's doing and how he's doing it,
>before you just write it off completely.
> > There's a difference between this approach of successive detail, and the approach of purpose-built icons. I stand by my previous statement.

Bill
Hi All;

Sorry to follow-up to myself but after such an admittedly strong statement I feel I should clarify. I think that some sort of progressive detail scheme can improve icon accessibility; and in fact it could serve as a basis for delivering something effective for low vision users who need high contrast. However, I think that in order to do a really good of this, the shapes used for HighContrast need to differ in more than just detail from those presented by default. I certainly wouldn't mind if the Gnome HighContrast icons were re-vectorized (I think they were originally created in Illustrator anyway - and SVG makes obvious sense for such icons) and then interleaved/merged with the 'stock' SVG icons. In effect though, to do this most effectively, it would create icons-within-icons: the HighContrast not render any of the stock icon SVG elements at all, but only the included HighContrast alternates. Of course it still means that each application icon needs, for best results, a hand-crafted HighContrast shape. What I am saying is that there's no "automation" that can create good HighContrast/low-vision shapes from already-existing default shapes, even if those shapes already include some level-of-detail styling.

Bill