Re: Software installation using gnome

I went ahead and tried this method of adding the .desktop files to /etc/skel/Desktop and it didn't work.  Do I need to give it certain permissions?

ls /etc/skel/
.bash_logout   .bash_profile  .bashrc        Desktop/       Examples/

I still don't have an easy way for new users to have a default set of icons on their desktop.  I can easily add it to their menus but that's not the intended goal here.

Any help would be great!

I'm trying this with Ubuntu and SLES.

Thanks,

On 1/3/07, Josselin Mouette <joss debian org> wrote:
Le mercredi 03 janvier 2007 à 11:02 +0000, Chris Vaughan a écrit :
> What I am trying to do is create an installer for a software tool I
> have been developing.  I would like something that sounds relatively
> simple to happen.

On Linux distributions, software is installed using packages, not
installers. Therefore you should think it in terms of building a
package, not writing an installer.

If the package includes .desktop files in /etc/skel/Desktop, this should
achieve what you want to do. However this sounds quite intrusive, and
having them in /usr/share/applications so that they appear in the menus
should be enough.
--
.''`.
: :' :      We are debian.org. Lower your prices, surrender your code.

--
Christopher Vaughan