Re: gnome-panel menu lockdown proposal

On 1/8/07, Matt Keenan <Matt Keenan sun com> wrote:

At Guadec last year in Villanova, one of the topics that came up from
Luis's talk
on what our customers want from Gnome was the ability to restrict the
gnome menus.

Here's the solution we've implemented for this exact purpose, simply
involves
two new global desktop lockdown keys :

 - desktop/gnome/lockdown/restrict_application_launching

   Boolean value, that simply states whether restricted application
launching
   is switched on or not.

 - desktop/gnome/lockdown/allowed_applications

   A list of string's containing full path's to applications that are
allowed.
   e.g. /usr/local/bin/evince etc...

Three patches are required for this :

  - gnome-panel (DONE)- Check of restricted application launching is set
to true then :
    - hide items on menus whose application is not in the allowed list
    - hide launcher icons on panels whose application is not in the
allowed list
    - Restrict creating of launchers by D'n'D whose application are not
in the allowed
      list.

  - libgnome (DONE but needs updating) - provide default schema for two
new gconf keys

  - Pessulus (TODO) - Update to allow editing of new gconf keys.

Posting here to get some feedback from people.
Patches are available on request.

My feedback:

First, thanks for your work :).

Second, I only have a question: what happens if I add application X to
my panel and next day the admins add that application to the denied
apps list?, will it disappear?. Besides that I'm totally positive
about this.

Third, couldn't the allowing applications part be added to Alacarte?
(just an idea)

Thanks again for your work,

Greetings :)