Re: gnome-vfs-2.17.91 hard dependency on gnome-mime-data

Le mercredi 28 février 2007 à 19:16 +0100, Fryderyk Dziarmagowski a
écrit :
> --- Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> wrote:

> > > You can safely remove PKG check from configure and build g-vfs without
> > > smallest problems. You can even run all major GNOME apps without it.
> > > Forcing people to use something that is not needed it's IMO wrong.
> >
> > You can do all sorts of shit manually if you want. That doesn't change a
> > single thing. We enforce backwards compatibility.
>
> Enforcing backward compatibility at build time? What compatibility is
> that? It's broken idea.
>
> > Maybe some third party app still use the gnome-vfs APIs that use the old
> > mime data. We don't just break it to save a few bytes.
>
> Right. And in such case third party app should depend on
> gnome-mime-data. Such app should force you to install it, because it
> can't run without it.

For tarball, there is no differences between build time and install
time.

GNOME upstream tarballs are checking they have everything they need to
build and runs, mostly at build time, since it is the same as install
time in that context.

It is not GNOME upstream developers jobs to take care of what
distributions put in their packages. But dependencies at build time are
usually a good hint for any good packager on what is needed to install
time.

--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat mandriva com>
Mandriva