Re: get rid static libraries or fix them

Tristan Van Berkom wrote:

> Hi,
>    Currently I dont see anything wrong with the state of affairs at all.

I see: Many GNOME *.pc files are broken, because Libs.private required
for static linking are missing. Default configure options are
inconsistent, causing even more problems.

> Just because you havent built gnome-keyring or gtk+ statically

I built all these libraries with the default configure options.

You have to explicitly use "./configure --enable-static" to build static
gtk+. Using "./configure", you will not get static library.

For consistency, "./configure" for libgnome should not provide static
library, too, or at least it must be able to produce working static
library stuff (correct .pc file) while using default configure options.

>there is a program that I link glib statically and will continue
> to do so since the risk is little to none for that case...

... If you don't use gmodule. pkg-config does the same.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer
SUSE LINUX, s. r. o.                          e-mail: sbrabec suse cz
Lihovarská 1060/12                            tel: +420 284 028 966
190 00 Praha 9                                fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic                                http://www.suse.cz/