Re: Replacement for GNet

Dan Winship <danw gnome org> writes:

> Piotr Gaczkowski wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I am interested if somebody is currently working on a GNet-like
> > library based on GObject?
>
> The gvfs ftp backend is going to need sockets/tcp/dns/etc support, but
> gio doesn't currently provide anything there and I'm not sure what the
> plan is for that...
>
> Anyway, there's a comparison of the available glib-based networking
> libraries at http://live.gnome.org/LibSoup/OtherNetworkLibraries that I
> did a while ago. I've updated it now to include gio (and to at least
> mention flow). It's a bit biased towards being "how are these things
> similar to and different from soup", because that was what I was
> interested in when I wrote it, but it still works as a general overview.
> If people want to add info or otherwise improve it, feel free to
> edit it.

There is also lac, which is glib based, but doesn't use gobject. It is
available in a git repository in my homedirectory on gnome.org:

            /home/ssp/lac

One of the more interesting/crackful things about it, is that it
implements the DNS protocol so that it can do asynchronous DNS lookups
without using threads or processes.

It also has an HTTP 1.1 implementation, including pipelining. It's
questionable how useful the pipelining is though, given how poorly
servers implement it.

Soren