Re: Unifying name for Plugins/Extensions/etc.

On Thu, December 20, 2007 11:37 am, Andrew Conkling wrote:

>>From the bug report:
> In an effort to get GNOME applications that support Plugins, Extensions,
> Addins, etc., to have a consistent name, I propose using the name
> "Extensions".

Another argument in favour: "Extensions" describes what the user gets,
"Plug-ins" describes how it works. Naming something after an
implementation detail isn't good, naming something after what is does is
good.

The alternative is to avoid such terms altogether. For example, the phrase
"applet" is missing from most of the panel UI. You have to look at
individual about dialogs to see that word.

 - Callum