Re: Removing gnome-keyring-manager from desktop distribution

On Dec 8, 2007 6:20 PM, Stef Walter <stef-list memberwebs com> wrote:
> Seahorse now has surpassed the functionality of gnome-keyring-manager,
> as far as managing one or more keyrings and the passwords contained in
> them. It does things in a more simple manner, and hopefully more
> understandable. Screenshots attached. [1]

I'm not going do discuss the relative merits of seahorse vs.
gnome-keyring-manager,
but there is one thing that I cannot let uncommented in the seahorse ui. On the
"Passphrase Cache" there is a section that warns me about the fact
that a certain
seahorse-agent is not running. It shows a button (or rather a label
that turns into a button on mouse-over) for starting said
seahorse-agent. So far so good (although the button would be better as
a regular button).

But when I click on it, it adds more text about how I should add
seahorse-agent to the session to avoid starting it manually in the
future, and changes the button to one that launches gnome-session.
This is seriously wrong, in my opinion. It feels like the computer is
asking me to do something that it could have just as well done itself.

I'd propose to a) make ssh-agent register with the session manager itself
or b) install an autostart file for it,
or c) add a check box next to the button
   [ ] do this automatically in the future

Regards.  Matthias