Re: GNOME/Win32

Dnia 11-12-2007, Wt o godzinie 17:05 +0100, Reinout van Schouwen pisze:
> Hello Piotr,
>
> > Win32 world. Libxml2 or GIMP being the cases. Still I'd love to use
> > Tomboy, Empathy, Epiphany and Rhythmbox native and with plugins in
> > Win32 environment.
>
> I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying, but I do want to
> point out that Epiphany is designed to be an integrated GNOME web
> browser. Trying to use it outside of a GNOME environment would probably
> cause significant loss of functionality -- at least without lots of
> win32-specific patching.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I don't want it working outside the GNOME environment, but working in the GNOME environment on Win32/OS X platform. Modular GNOME is the wat to do it. Why reinvent the wheel over and over again? If a platform has some keyring library make gnome-keyring a thin wrapper around it. Same with other things. GNOME (for me) not necessarily mean everything that's from kernel (exclusive) upwards (beginning with hal). For me it is just a suite of applications and I think that's true for many other users. I'd like to see certain GNOME apps on every OS possible, having a nice integration with underlying OS an other GNOME components possibly installed.

And think you can write your application once and it would work on all supported platforms, generating nice packages/installers for free. This way we can even grab the attention of commercial software developers. Coding less means lower costs.

Cheers,
Piotr Gaczkowski