Re: WAF (Was: build tools)

2007/12/2, Elijah Newren <newren gmail com>:
On Dec 2, 2007 3:46 PM, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro <gjc inescporto pt> wrote:
> In case anyone is interested, feel free to try out a 100% WAF-ied
> version of gnome-python:
>
> http://www.gnome.org/~gjc/gnome-python-2.21.0.tar.bz2
>
> The WAF based tarball (including a self contained waf script, which is
> all you need to build) is 249K, while an autotools version is 424K.  I
> could reduce the size even more if I removed configure.ac and the
> Makefile.am's.  It also builds much faster, especially if you count
> the ./autogen.sh part, though I didn't to get actual numbers.

Ooh, I'd love to see timing numbers.  The size differences are pretty
impressive; it would likely make a noticable impact on times for
building releases for garnome users, release team members, and others.
Anyone want to cook up a patch for libwnck/metacity so I can see how
quick and small it is on my module(s)?  (Hey, if I'm too lazy to deal
with autotools for my modules and almost always delegate it, I can
also be too lazy to deal with any other system, right?)

I might try.

So far, libwnck looks pretty simple, except for the glib-mkenums which seems to call a lot of shell commands.

What's exactly glib-mkenum used for? (I kind of guess from the name, but I would like to have more background of the problem that it solves).
Does anyone has done this mkenum thing with waf already?

--
Cheers,
Alberto Ruiz