Re: Creating SVN repositories

On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 15:29 -0500, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just got pointed to this:  http://live.gnome.org/NewSVNRepos
>
> ... and it looks rather bureaucratic.
>
> Back in the days of cvs.gnome.org, anyone with an account (already a
> trusted member of the GNOME community) could create a new project on the
> CVS server.  People kept little pet projects there; sometimes they
> turned into real contributions to GNOME, and sometimes they remained as
> little pet projects.  In either case, it was polite of GNOME to let
> contributors use our services freely, since they are already feeding
> code to the project at large.
>
> Is it possible to remove the step of "ask the sysadmins to create a
> repository for you"?  Can we simply give people some guidelines on how
> to create the branches/trunk/tags directories?

Something I'd thought about before was having a separate SVN
server where people could just put whatever they want.  Call
it users.gnome.org or something, and give everybody who has
a gnome.org account their own repo on it.  So then I'd have
svn+ssh://svn.gnome.org/svn/shaunm/

Just as we allow people to use their web space for personal
things, we'd allow people to put whatever they want into their
personal SVN repo (within reason, nothing illegal, et cetera,
et cetera).  People will be able to use it to scratchpad new
project ideas before requesting a repo on svn.gnome.org.
Plus, I could finally put my .tcshrc and .emacs files under
version control.  :)

It would be a nice service to provide for our members.

--
Shaun