Re: Creating SVN repositories

On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 03:29:24PM -0500, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just got pointed to this:  http://live.gnome.org/NewSVNRepos
>
> ... and it looks rather bureaucratic.

What part? Most of it is meant for new projects and is just a basic
'open source licences only' + a check that it will be used.

If someone has an SVN account the repository is created. The only thing
I check if there are no problems with e.g. the existing svn dump (if it
exists).

I do not see the problem.

> Back in the days of cvs.gnome.org, anyone with an account (already a
> trusted member of the GNOME community) could create a new project on the
> CVS server.  People kept little pet projects there; sometimes they
> turned into real contributions to GNOME, and sometimes they remained as
> little pet projects.  In either case, it was polite of GNOME to let
> contributors use our services freely, since they are already feeding
> code to the project at large.

I do not remember not creating an SVN repository when someone with an
SVN account asked.

> Is it possible to remove the step of "ask the sysadmins to create a
> repository for you"?  Can we simply give people some guidelines on how
> to create the branches/trunk/tags directories?

The exact instructions used by the sysadmins are on the wiki page;
meaning:

--
Regards,
Olav