Re: [Usability] Drive applet by default

What I believe the OP is trying to say is not that we should be mounting drives manually, but that some form of notification should pop up informing the user of the newly inserted removable device.  It should also be the place where the user goes in order to properly remove (unmount) said device.

Many times you have other windows open when you insert a removable device and an inexperienced user will not know that the device has now appeared on his/her desktop because the desktop is covered.  There should be a globally visible area where users are notified of the insertion of removable devices and that same area should be used as a place where the user can unmount and properly remove the inserted device.

I do not think that this should be a separate applet.  I believe it makes more sense to have it be part of the notification area and to create a tray icon for removable devices.  There could be a straightforward drop down menu that lists all removable devices that are currently plugged in and a user should be able to remove (unmount) any such devices from the icon.

-SS-