Re: Proposal for Seahorse inclusion in GNOME 2.18

Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-09-10 at 00:55 +0000, Nate Nielsen wrote:
>> The underlying concepts and technologies of gnome-keyring (which really
>> should be 'gnome-password') and encryption keys are extremely different.
>
> There is nothing conceptually that limits gnome-keyring to passwords. As
> long as the secret can be encoded as a string, and referenced/found via
> attributes that are ints and strings it can be stored in gnome-keyring.

True. I hadn't thought about that. An interesting thought for developers
of any hand rolled crypto in GNOME.

Obviously all the current crypto libraries and apps come with their own
storage methods for key data. They're also much further down in the
stack: OpenSSH, GnuPG, NSS, GnuTLS, OpenSSL

Cheers,
Nate