Re: gnome-utils branched for GNOME 2.16

On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 12:22 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> Hi Jeff;
>
> On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 21:01 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > <quote who="Emmanuele Bassi">
> > At the moment, it is fairly difficult to do a window selection unless you
> > know the secret password (key combo or CLI parameters). An optional two step
> > process (made optional by defaulting to full screen as it works now) would
> > help with that.
>
> The problem is that I really don't know how to make the Screenshot
> utility work with a two-step flow without having people screaming at my
> doorstep because I disrupted their one-step flow. :-)  And I quite agree
> with them: taking a shot of the screen should require the least possible
> iterations, especially if you want to take loads of shots.

I've outlined a proposal for this at least twice,
but I can't find the original emails, so I'll do
it again.

When you call up the screenshot utility from the
Applications menu, it should bring up a dialog
asking you what you want to do.  The dialog would
look something like this:

| ( ) Take screenshot of entire screen.          |
|     * Use PrntScrn to do this at any time.     |
| ( ) Take screenshot of a single window.        |
|     * Use Alt+PrntScrn to do this at any time. |
|                           [Cancel]   [Shoot]   |
|________________________________________________|

When you call the screenshot utility with PrntScrn
or Alt+PrntScrn, it does exactly what it does now,
because that's exactly what it should do, because
it's really useful.

People who want a one-step workflow should be (and
probably are) using the global keyboard shortcuts.
We aren't interfering with them at all.

Pros:
People who don't know the keyboard shortcuts can
still take both fullscreen and window screenshots
using this tool.

People who don't know the keyboard shortcuts can
actually learn the keyboard shortcuts from this
dialog.

More advanced screenshot modes can be supported,
like rectangular selections, without getting in
people's way or requiring more keybindings.

Cons:
I'm sure people on this list will find plenty.

--
Shaun