Re: Announcing GNOME Network Proxy Resolver

On 26/10/06, Christian Persch <chpe gnome org> wrote:
Hi there,

please let me introduce the latest addition to the category of totally
useless software by announcing...

        GNOME Network Proxy Resolver !

What it is
==========

GNOME Network Proxy Resolver provides proxy lookup with PAC support via
DBUS. This allows other programmes to support the "Automatic proxy
configuration" option from GNOME control centre's Network Preferences
without embedding a JavaScript interpreter just for this tiny feature.

Have you considered adding support for web proxy autodetection to this
(the "Auto-detect proxy settings for this network" option in firefox).
There is a copy of the internet draft available here:

   http://www.web-cache.com/Writings/Internet-Drafts/draft-ietf-wrec-wpad-01.txt

It is basically a protocol for discovering the location of the PAC
file for a network, using DHCP or DNS.  As I understand it, the DHCP
part of the spec should be possible using NetworkManager.  The DNS
based lookup should work without it.

James.