Re: Proposing Tracker for inclusion into GNOME 2.18

> Summary files that provide offsets into an mbox or individual references
> to maildir files seem like the sanest way to go to me.  (And this is
> what both Evolution and Thunderbird do.)  The real downside is that
> those summary files are considered private, and aren't designed with
> searchability in mind, which makes indexing the data inside very
> challenging.

It was the approach used by Mail.app on MacOS X, but with Spotlight and
MacOS X 10.4 they changed to a more proprietary format that was more
convenient to index. How convenient when you are the master of the whole
foodchain. If you can't go to the mountain, bring the mountain to you.

And JWZ have been pissed about it too.