Re: User Documentation Requirements

On 10/23/06, Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:
For those who don't keep archives or have broken threading:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2006-October/msg00232.html

Are there any further thoughts about this?

I already gave my $0.02 about that.  :-)

Since I think there is constant confusion about requirements,
I'd like to work on the pages here:

http://live.gnome.org/ReleasePlanning/ModuleRequirements

What I would like to do is put the requirements into five
pages: common, new modules, applications, platform, and
bindings.  I'd like these pages to reflect everything we
expect of maintainers.

I volunteered to do this a little while ago
(http://mail.gnome.org/archives/release-team/2006-August/msg00000.html;
grep for 'documentation').  Been a little slow at getting back around
to it, though I do have some partial drafts laying around.  I'll
finish them up and get them online, though if you want to beat me to
the punch with an initial outline then go ahead.  New modules hadn't
been included originally, but it looks like Vincent is tackling that
(http://mail.gnome.org/archives/release-team/2006-October/msg00044.html)
so it shouldn't be hard to incorporate it.

And then we should link to this page from, well, just about
all the maintainer-oriented pages.

http://live.gnome.org/MaintainersCorner (which happens to be linked to
from the product overview page in bugzilla and the release schedule)
sounds like the most natural place.  Might warrant a separate mention
on the release schedule as well.  And, once it's written up, we should
sound out a big announcement to let people know about it.  Any other
places it belongs?  (Or that a link to MaintainersCorner ought to be
added?)