External Dependecies: xdg-utils ?

xgd-utils is a set of command line tools: the recent 1.0 release
includes:

xdg-desktop-menu
        command line tool for (un)installing desktop menu items

xdg-desktop-icon
        command line tool for (un)installing icons to the desktop

xdg-mime
        command line tool for querying information about file type
        handling and adding descriptions for new file types

xdg-icon-resource
        command line tool for (un)installing icon resources

xdg-open
        opens a file or URL in the user's preferred application

xdg-email
        command line tool for sending mail using the user's preferred
        e-mail composer

xdg-screensaver
        command line tool for controlling the screensaver

This those tools are designed for ISVs and are just frontends to
existing command (for instance update-[mime,desktop]-database). More
info at:

* http://portland.freedesktop.org/wiki/
* http://portland.freedesktop.org/xdg-utils-1.0/
* http://portland.freedesktop.org/wiki/IntegrationTasks

Do you think GNOME should/could depend on it as External Dependance?

PS of course no GNOME module is currently using those tools

PPS I don't know if it's effective for GNOME, but it's a freedesktop.org
project to manage icons, mime, menus and .desktop files, so I think it
could be useful.

[1] http://portland.freedesktop.org/xdg-utils-1.0/xdg-icon-resource.html