Re: User Documentation Requirements

On 10/20/06, Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:
I'm also half-tempted to try to push 'help' as the standard
component name, even though 'docs' is the de facto standard
right now.  We advise using 'help' as the directory name for
user documentation, so it sort of makes sense.  (I will also
likely push to standardize that directory name, but only after
we've transitioned to a VCS that can track changes across file
moves.)

Standardizing on 'help' would be no harder than standardizing on
'docs', so long as we can just get a list of what needs to be
converted/added.  Seems reasonable to me.

(Moving from 'docs' to 'help' as the component name would leave
us with very awkwardly-named docs-maint aliases, so...)

Which could also be changed; it would merely mean changing the
login_name column of the profiles table (the bugzilla db tracks
information related to users by a unique integer 'userid' and the
-maint aliases are just fake addresses in the database, so nothing
else would need to be updated).

For multi-program modules, if they do multiple help components,
they could be named prog-help.  Or would help-prog be better,
because they'd be easy to shift-select when alphabetized?

_if_ they do multiple help components?  I guess that's half my
question.  Your suggestions sound fine to me, I'm still just not sure
what/where to change for these cases.  If we could get a full list of
the changes that need to be made, I think Olav or I can make them.