Re: Proposing Tracker for inclusion into GNOME 2.18

Shaun McCance wrote:

I wonder what you consider to be important stuff.  I have a number
of types of files on my computer that I consider important.  They
are important to me, even other people don't think the file types
are important.

its not so much a problem of metadata extraction or text extraction cause we do this out of process so plug-ins could be used here

We can't possibly expect Tracker to handle every file format under
the sun.  Beagle doesn't, Spotlight doesn't, and I'm sure whatever
thing Vista is doing doesn't.  But what they provide is a way for
external application to provide indexers for their file formats.
And ISDs are doing this.  (Insert admonition about how we'd get
better third-party buy-in with a cross-desktop solution.)

we wont except in-process stuff as these could crash tracker - if they can be done externally then no problem.

Personally, I'm excited about having actual metadata alongside full
text indexes.  I think you can get much richer queries, and there's
more potential for application interaction.  But that also means we
have to allow even more flexibility for third-party integration.

I'm not saying Tracker can't do any of this.  I'm asking if it can.
Your proposal is sort of the buzzword-compliant boss version.  I'd
really like the hacker version.  What does Tracker actually do, and
what can we actually do with it?

see page : http://live.gnome.org/ResearchAndDevelopment/Tracker

--
Mr Jamie McCracken