Re: Proposing Tracker for inclusion into GNOME 2.18

Hi Jamie,

Foreword: I've never used tracker, spotlight, google desktop search,
etc. I only have experience with old beagle, which was really not that
great since it crashed after a few seconds ;-)

Le jeudi 19 octobre 2006, à 20:01, Jamie McCracken a écrit :
> Joe Shaw wrote:
> >
> >         * The scope of Tracker isn't clear.  Is the point to be fast
> >         search for files, or for all the user's data?  To what end has
> >         Tracker achieved its goal?
>
> It should be clear - to be the best

But, to be the best at what?

I look at the website and I get this: "Tracker is a first class object
database, extensible tag/metadata database, search tool and indexer."
First reaction is "good". Second reaction is "hrm, what does it all
mean? Does it just do everything except coffee?". Should I compare this
to beagle/spotlight/etc. or not?

> >         * If Tracker's aim is to index all of the user's personal
> >         information (and not just files), the indexer is far too
> >         immature and lacking in functionality at this point.
>
> tracker is mature at indexing files and does a much better job than some
> leading contenders including spotlight and other commercial indexers
> which all seem to consume significant resources. Tracker is different
> and arguably better in this area.

Don't take this wrong, but always saying "it's the best" or "it's better"
is not really helpful here, at least for me. I need arguments. I need to
know why. May I suggest you write down a page on the wiki or somewhere
to explain that? It will be much better than arguing on the mailing list
:-)

Thanks,

Vincent

--