Re: "No pop up windows"-idea for Gnome 3

On 12 Oct 2006, at 11:09, Martin Jeppesen wrote:

The second is a Gnome Lite for thin clients. I study at the Danish
Technical University with about 12000 students and about 1000 thin
clients. In the summer Holiday they decided to change from Solaris 10
to Gnome, but when the semester started, it was changed back very
quicky.

I asked the administrators why Gnome was removed, and the answer were,
that Gnome took up way too much memory and CPU time, and also that
Gnome worked very poorly over network sockets.

So I thought it is a shame that Gnome is not suited for thin clients.
Could that somehow be reworked in Gnome 3?

It could certainly be better, and I know here at Sun we're always working to improve thin client performance where we can-- SunRays are big business for us, and GNOME is our preferred desktop. That said, we do have thousands of people running GNOME on SunRays here, and its performance is still better than on either of the standalone SPARC workstations I have on my desk. So it's certainly not impossible to have GNOME run reasonably well today in a thin client environment, if you turn off all the resource-hogging bells and whistles (screensavers, fancy backgrounds, opaque window movement, network monitor applet etc.)

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Team