Re: Desktop as Nautilus

On 3/14/06, TRANS <transfire gmail com> wrote:
> Hi. I'm new to the list. I have had this idea in the back of my mind
> for a while and I thought it was about time I share it and see what
> others think.
>
> I point out that this is in consideration of how GNU/Linux via Gnome
> can differentiate and innovate beyond the other options out there.
>
> My idea is this. I would really like it if my Desktop actually were
> the File Browser. In other words instead of having a seperate Desktop/
> directory in my home directory, the desktop could actually reflect my
> home directory (or any other defaut directory I tell it too for that
> matter), but more that this, to be able to navigate thru the file
> heirarchy like one normally does with Nautilus, but without the need
> for a seperate window. An optional split pane mode would also be
> useful in this design (like MC). And if you want to go a step further,
> some cool transition effects between directory changes ;-)
>
> To me this would be a much more natural way of working with my system.
> Just by hitting the Desktop icon on my toolbar, up pops file
> naviagtion (is there a shorcut key sequence for that btw?).
> Application windows reside on top of all that, making it qucik and
> easy to go back and forth. Plus workspaces would then each have their
> on independent current directory. I think that would make workspaces
> more intuitive and useful too.
>
> What do others think?
>
> Trans.

I have been thinking about this for a while too,

I think it is a great idea - I like that by using the 'Show Desktop'
toogle/applet a user could get to some file, and then return the
desktop to the way it was before the looked for the file

The best place to see this working is on a PSION series 5 (maybe
later, I only have a 5) - it is still the most productive environment
I have ever used - and I liked the way the desktop was the file
manager.

If it was implemented, I think it would be essential that there was a
very quick way to get back to the 'original desktop' - I.E the
~/Desktop folder.

Given that we currently use Nautilus for the desktop, it is not much
hacking to include at least a Gconf key to enable users to browse
using their desktop?

I may do some mockups, if people are interested...

Who