Re: Intellectual Property Plugins and GNOME

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 03:43:49PM -0400, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 15:26:59 -0500, Brian Cameron wrote:
> > Here at Sun, we have been talking with Fluendo about licensing these
> > plugins.  As you can imagine, it is fairly expensive to acquire a
> > license that allows a vendor to freely ship these plugins (as opposed
> > to a per-use license).
> [..]
> > Perhaps Microsoft and Fluendo would find it interesting to work a
> > license with the GNOME community
>
> Such a license would violate any of the ideals that we stand for.

Ronald is correct, it would violate the Free as in Freedom.  However,
you should be taking this to the distributions rather than the GNOME
community itself.  Distributors and perhaps user's themselves could
license it.

I had a whole rant about proprietary stuff, but you guys have
probably heard it before. :-)

sri