Re: Tomboy in Desktop

On 7/28/06, Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie> wrote:

As you probably already know Havoc Pennington wrote a very interesting
article about Working on Free
Software http://ometer.com/hacking.html
which makes a strong point of "Don't start by launching your own project"
but Gnome is faced by a lot of overlapping projects.

Strange as it may seem, some people don't take everything Havoc writes
as gospel (forgive me Havoc). I disagreed with it on many points when
I read it when he wrote it in 1999 and I still do now that I've read
it again.

I do suggest you give it a thorough read through yourself.

Realistically taking [sticky notes] out of Gnome is a kiss of death.

Realistically, sticky notes is dead.
In the last 18months since its rewrite (!!!!) it has received three
commits that were adding features, the last being in January 2006 to
"add Hide Notes to the menu"
Now, it has had a good number of minor maintence commits, fix a memory
leak here, a crasher there, but in terms of development, it is dead.

I have nothing to say on anything else you have said, because really
its all been said before and contains nothing new. I have stated my
opinion, and I'd be extremely happy if you left it at that.

iain