Re: [g-a-devel] GnomeClient replacement?

On 7/26/06, Fernando Herrera <fherrera onirica com> wrote:
Humm I'm seeing a problem here. What about GNOME/GTK+ applications
launched  outside a gnome-session? (for example people using KDE).

They won't get the gtk-modules XSETTING and then they won't be accesible at all.

I guess that the solution that Kristian pointed (gtk loading auto
problem:

- gtk_init --> load_init_modules:
   - gnome a11y module --> Check a11y gconf key --> load gail and friends
   - bug-buddy module --> install segv handler.

the downside of this method is that if we have installed gnome a11y
modules then we are adding a little bit of overhead to only-gtk
applications (loading gnome-module because it is installed, loading
gconf, checking a11y).

GTK+ programs running outside a session can either fall back to the
GTK_MODULES envvar or use an xsettings manager even if they
are running under, say, KDE. That was the initial idea of xsettings
anyway, and I believe there is a xsettings manager for KDE that
some distributions use.

Matthias