Re: consistency (or lack thereof)

On Sex, 2006-07-21 at 13:42 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> Most of the control-center capplets are immediate-apply
> (except for ones which have very good reason not to be),
> and all of then have a "Close" button. All ? No, not all.
> The background capplet considers it better to have
> a "Finish" button instead...
>
> I have asked to fix this, but I have been told that
> user testing showed that "Close" is wrong there...
>
> So, what now ? Do we suddenly change all our close buttons
> to finish buttons ? Or do we embrace inconsistency in the
> name of user testing ?

  No, please let's fix this.  Besides the lack of consistency with other
capplets, it makes absolutely no sense at all to have a Finish button,
especially since it uses the stock icon for Apply.  This is very
confusing even for me because I think "this is an apply button with a
different wording: I have to click on it for settings to be saved; or,
if I don't click on it, my changes are reverted".  Of course none of
those are true.

  The Finish button only makes sense in a task-oriented interface.  It
makes some sense when using the "Change Desktop Background" desktop
popup menu, because it is worded like a task description.  It makes no
sense when accessing the same preference through "Preferences->Desktop
Background".

  This highlights another inconsistency: "Change Desktop Background" in
the desktop popup menu should be "Desktop Background Properties"
instead.

  Regards,

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic.