Re: GnomeClient replacement?

Bill Haneman wrote:
gnome_program_init also loads the accessibility support, calling gconf
in the process.  It's not clear to me that this could conveniently be
put elsewhere without complicating the dependencies of other modules...

This is a broken hack that should have been killed long ago, should never have been allowed into libgnome at all since it means that gtk-only apps need to either cut-and-paste the code or just not be accessible, despite having all the other a11y code already in gtk.

It can be done with e.g. a GTK_MODULE instead, iirc. or perhaps an xsetting type of deal to get the gconf flag into gtk itself.

I remember threatening long ago to kill the cut-and-paste from metacity after a release or two if nobody fixed this properly; Elijah, you should do that, I think it's been maybe two years or more! Fortunately Elijah is probably nicer than me and won't enforce the threat ;-)

There's a metacity bug about it iirc.

This has got to be a perfect poster child for why maintainers should reject broken half-measures on grounds that nobody will fix it properly once you accept a broken patch.

Havoc