Re: Migration Paths for New Modules

On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 12:35 -0400, Willie Walker wrote:
> Hi Shaun:
>
> > Tomboy has no documentation that I know of.  Orca will
> > require a *LOT* of documentation updates and additions
> > in the Accessibility Guide and other places.
>
> Is there a place we can search to look for references to Gnopernicus?
> We're more than happy to submit patches to the various places needed -
> finding them all is the hard part.
>
> > I will not endorse a module that isn't cooperating with
> > the documentation team, no matter how much I happen to
> > like the program.
>
> I certainly hope you do not sense a lack of cooperation on part of the
> Orca team.  We're working very hard to be good community members and are
> going through the process as best we can understand it.  If something
> has given you the impression that we are not cooperating, I'd like to
> know what it is so we can remedy it.

What I am primarily concerned with is how we intend to migrate
users from Gnopernicus to Orca.  It's not an issue of finding
the references to Gnopernicus in the documentation.  The team
is perfectly capable of writing and editing, when they know
what to write and edit.  (In the case of accessibility tools,
however, we often need more help from the developers, because
many of us don't understand the technologies very well.)

What's important to me is what happens to a Gnome 2.14 user
who upgrades to 2.16.  Will we automatically migrate her to
Orca from Gnopernicus?  How will her settings be migrated?
How will her settings inter-operate with Gnopernicus if she
has multiple machines using the same home directory?  What
sorts of problems is she likely to encounter, and how can
we address those problems in the documentation?

For the record, from what I've seen, I love Orca.  I think
it's the right move for Gnome, and I'm glad the Gnopernicus
folks are in favor of it.  But we have to be very careful
about how we manage migrations, because the sorts of people
who use Gnopernicus and Orca will be completely screwed if
something goes wrong with them.

--
Shaun