Re: Time to heat up the new module discussion

Jason D. Clinton <me <at> jasonclinton.com> writes:

> Just an observation: I have spent a great deal of time in the last 4
> years hanging out on both GNOME and KDE's IRC channels and reading both
> Planets (once they existed). C++ is no silver bullet. In fact, KDE
> developers frequently complain about issues in C++ implementations (g++
> stability) and design problems (templates come to mind).

I do C++ for a living (in Qt if you mind, but this does not matter). Programming
in C++ does not mean using all the C++ features. Far from it. Projects like
AbiWord and Mozilla have restricted the use of some C++ obscure features. This
is called discipline. This was the subject of the talk I proposed for Guadec [1].
And yes C++ brings its own set of problems too.

> I think C and C++ both fall in to the same "GCC-supported" languages
> bucket (as a matter of classification for the purposes of this
> argument).

I think that definitely C++ brings things that C does not provide, and stay in
the category of "no VM".

Please note that, unlike some people told me *privately*[2], I'm not advocating
the all C++, but rather the "have a look at C++ it solve some of your problems
are having with C for application development". And for the argument "C++ is not
taught in university, etc"[2] let me re-affirm that developping applications
requires learning, and learning non trivial things. Like in each and every case.
 And FWIW, C++ is still an industry standard in the field of software development.

Hub

[1] I had to cancel my presence there.
[2] you know who you are.