Re: Time to heat up the new module discussion

fre, 14,.07.2006 kl. 13.22 -0400, skrev Dan Winship:
> Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. wrote:
> > Rodrigo gently raises the seminal question, "What is so different?".
> >
> > The answer is known: It is that enormous elephant standing in the corner
> > that folks have been politely tip-toeing around, trying to ignore.
>
> Tiptoeing around the issue is NOT polite at this point. We are talking
> about letting mono into GNOME. This is it. This is the fork in the road.
> This is the part where we have the argument. Whatever your objections
> are, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Had decided to keep quiet about this since it's more of a vendor/distro
issue than anything else... But here goes...

I think that one of many strenghts of our project is that it embraces
many different technologies and development platforms if you will. It
*has* to be up to the individual companies who have put their stake in
the GNOME camp to define what subset/part/"release" of GNOME is right
for their use of it. Clearly we've had a lot of innovation within the
Python/Mono/gtk# camps lately, and if we had the same amount of
innovation from the rest of the stakeholders we would all be better off
from it IMO.

GNOME should be less about "what's in and what's not" and more about
*real* choice. GNOME should be about a uniform user experience stemming
from apps that act the same and look the same more than about what
development platform/base libraries the apps were made with. It's up you
guys to decide which language/platform you want to use to get there, and
I sincerely think that the end user doesn't give a damn about whether
the app is mono based, java based, python based or an app made from
whatever C libraries are in the "core".

We've grown up a lot since this discussion came up last and I still
don't think we have to bless any one language/platform as *the* GNOME
development platform.

Time will tell if I'm right though.

Godspeed to y'all and may the best app win :-)

This broadcast has in no way been coloured by the taint of Single Islay
Whiskey.

Cheers
Kjartan