Re: Time to heat up the new module discussion

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, Alvaro Lopez Ortega wrote:
 Yeah, 100% agree. That is exactly the problem: applications would
 use another framework rather than the one that they are suppose to
 use (we are speaking about GNOME apps).

libxml is an XML library for *C* apps. It's not designed to be usable in any other language.

 I understand the desktop framework as the common infrastructure in
 which almost all the desktop applications are based on. If we move
 from a scheme in which there is an unique group of common stuff to
 one in which there are a few of them (GNOME, Python, Mono, Java?) it
 may become "a little" messy. IMO.

We're not proposing Java. Don't try to inflate your numbers by putting stuff not under consideration in there.

First, let's observe that almost everyone seems to desire a move in the managed code direction. Microsoft has invested quite a bit of engineering effort into their Vista based framework. Sun is investing by improving Java on the desktop (including by making Swing apps look native in gtk, for Mustang/Java 6. This work is very impressive). Novell's desktop now includes many Mono based applications.

GNOME is not going to survive in C. Will we continue to have a nice desktop environment, yes. However, we are not going to make a computing ecosystem by sitting in our C shells. Embracing python is a good step forward. Embracing Mono will allow the innovations that Novell has made in terms of search, music and photos to be a part of GNOME. Further, because the CLI has a bytecode that supports many languages, it opens up these applications to plugins written in any language from C# to Python.

Most of the Mono based apps provide functionality that GNOME never *really* had (a usable music playter that syncs to ipods, etc; a photo manager; desktop search). Multi-user setups (such as those used by your company, Sun), these applications need not be used.

Innovation will continue in Mono with or without GNOMEs blessing. GNOME is what will be missing out by being stalled on a silly flamewar started by a small number of people.

-- Ben