Re: Time to heat up the new module discussion

Joe Shaw wrote:

>>   What I meant is that if you launch a KDE desktop, it'll use a
>>   single framework and execution environment. Even if they have
>>   binding, all the main desktop application have been written using
>>   a single development framework.
>
> That's not true.  A KDE app written in Mono is just as likely to use
> the Mono XML layer just like a GNOME one would.  Neither would be
> using their own "development platform's" XML library.

  Yeah, 100% agree. That is exactly the problem: applications would
  use another framework rather than the one that they are suppose to
  use (we are speaking about GNOME apps).

  Anyway, as long as a KDE+Mono application is almost a imaginary
  case, it doesn't make much sense to discuss it. KDE people write
  their applications using C++ and the KDE framework, and even if they
  have Mono (Python, Java, ..) bindings, there aren't basic KDE
  desktop applications written with them.

  I understand the desktop framework as the common infrastructure in
  which almost all the desktop applications are based on. If we move
  from a scheme in which there is an unique group of common stuff to
  one in which there are a few of them (GNOME, Python, Mono, Java?) it
  may become "a little" messy. IMO.

--
Greetings, alo.
http://www.alobbs.com