Re: Time to heat up the new module discussion

Hi,

On Thu, 2006-07-13 at 22:16 -0400, Ben Maurer wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, [ISO-8859-1] Steve Frcinaux wrote:
> > Not really. In fact, blessing an app in the desktop has the immediate
> > consequency that other apps can depend on it in a non-conditional way.
> > For instance, a few distros already ship beagle by default, but most
> > only ship it. And I just can't run beagle on my box, it eats up too much
> > memory. So if it was proposed for inclusion, including it would mean
> > that some Gnome apps would depend on it more or less inconditionally and
> > I couldn't run these apps anymore.
> >
> > That's the kind of problem we want to avoid here.
>
> This is completely besides the point. Nobody is proposing that beagle be
> made a requirement for GNOME. I agree, this would cause a problem for many
> low memory users.

In fact, this is one of the main reasons why I haven't yet proposed
Beagle for inclusion in the desktop.  I am thrilled by people's interest
in it, and I think it's a key part of the desktop going forward, but I
am not yet satisfied with its performance to suggest that everyone use
it.  I don't, however, believe that this is directly related to the fact
that its core is in C#.  It is a solvable problem (although a tricky
one, yes).

Joe