Re: libgswitchit: from virtual module to separate library

On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 21:42 +0100, Sergey Udaltsov wrote:
> Davyd,
>
> This is a very good question. Since API was always considered as
> "internal" (and all its usage was controlled by me) - I never actually
> looked at it from the quality side. I slighly improved it for 2.15 -
> but I realize it is very far from being nice. So as a part of the
> separation process, I would try to do the API cleanup (and I would
> appreciate any help/advice/review).

On this issue, I am wondering whether it would make sense to bring
in the SCIM configuration applet. SCIM allows you to write in
a bit more complex scripts (Indic, CJK, etc) and the user experience
in distributions (for example, Ubuntu) is not good. You use Alt-Alt to
switch between XKB keymaps and Ctrl-Space to switch between SCIM
keymaps. There are cases that both can cater the same keyboard layouts.
It's a bit messy.

The SCIM configuration applet also diverges a lot from the GNOME HIG
guidelines.

If an API change is to take place, it might be good to capture the
requirements of SCIM.

I am not sure where the proper place is to discuss this. I would would
be happy if you can direct me to the proper place.

Cheers,
Simos