Re: New modules in 2.14

fre, 20,.01.2006 kl. 09.39 +0800, skrev Davyd Madeley:
> Quoting Elijah Newren <newren gmail com>:
>
> > On 1/18/06, Davyd Madeley <davyd madeley id au> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm with Ryan on this. I think we should give vendors a choice for
> >> the time being.
> >
> > It looks like the vendors have already jumped on and chosen g-p-m.
>
> Once again, I ask the question, what about our non-Linux vendors?

Status quo? Or they can start working on creating the same kind of
interfaces that g-p-m or the mythical PowerManager can use on the
platforms where HAL doesn't work? Having "it must work on all platforms"
as a criteria for inclusion is not going to work when we're talking
about stuff that is this close to the hardware IMO. At least not in the
near future.

As for "creating another ESD" I don't know what all the fuss is about. I
think the problems caused by us using ESD are greatly exaggerated, both
in techical terms and wrt maintainability. The package has needed close
to zero work the last few years and I don't see a lot of people
complaining about it in bugzilla at least. What they do in the various
forums is a different issue, but some people will disagree no matter
what choices we make.

Cheers
Kjartan