Re: New modules in 2.14

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 10:58 -0500, Ryan Lortie wrote:

> > The question comes down to: is there sufficient reason not to use the
> > best solution we have in favor of one that hasn't been spec'd, reviewed,
> > or developed in the community or at all?

> For what it's worth, Davyd Madeley spec'd this imaginary system out a
> long time ago.  Of course, nobody has coded on it.

The specs Ryan refers to are documented here:
    http://live.gnome.org/PowerManager

Some of the contents contained here are not strictly true or useful any
more (when Ryan and I started discussing this, HAL had no support for
power management devices, nor did it have callable functions, so we were
going to have to implement that in our layer).

In the end, after beginning the design phase I ran out of time to devote
to the project and so it stopped.

Richard has done some great work in extending HAL to the point where it
now implements a large amount of the functionality that was required in
PowerManager. If we were going to implement PowerManager today, it would
be significantly easier. Using the existing capplets from g-p-m and the
HAL interfaces, we would then be able to write a monitoring/policy
daemon that handled the core of what PowerManager would do.

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA