Re: New modules in 2.14

Richard Hughes wrote:

>>Of course, this wonderful system does not exist.  Again,
>>gnome-power-manager is the best offering we have at this time.
>>

>Thanks! Making g-p-m very closely tied to other GNOME stuff allows it
>and other programs to play nice, e.g. g-p-m telling g-s to lock the
>screen after hibernating, all via a nice DBUS interface. g-s can also
>use g-p-m to blank the screen using DPMS.

This always seemed a bit weird to me.  Is there any reason to choose
this form of integration.

Wouldn't it have been better to make gnome-screensaver listen for the
HAL power management events directly, and lock the screen/throttle the
screensaver where appropriate?

Similarly, why does gnome-screensaver need to ask gnome-power-manager to
power down the screen?  Isn't this a simple X call that it could do itself?

I guess the main question is: why would an app use the
gnome-power-manager interfaces to respond to power management events
rather than HAL's notifications?

James.