Re: GNOME Icon Theme 2.13.5[.1] AKA the HOLY CRAP, ICONS! release

On 1/17/06, Rodney Dawes <dobey novell com> wrote:
> That's right. Only Kenya [1] has lions, and only GNOME has over 1200
> uniquely named icons, in its default theme. In an effort to improve
> the maintainability of gnome-icon-theme, I've spent most of this past
> weekend preparing it to migrate GNOME to the Icon Naming Specification,
> make the default theme be much more generic, and help clean up the UI
> a bit, by helping to get rid of extraneous icons.
>
> As a result of these changes, our wonderfully talented icon artist,
> jimmac, is actually interested in fixing up some icons in the default
> theme again. Also, gnome-icon-theme now, and until the desktop is
> entirely migrated to the Icon Naming Specification, and it is much
> more complete and finalized, will depend on icon-naming-utils [2]. As
> changes happen in both the theme, and naming utilities, the version
> requirement will be bumped, so that the backward compatibility may
> remain optimal.

So, lets talk about this new dependency, icon-naming-utils. There
is a couple of issues here:

- The jhbuild gnome 2.14 moduleset does not know about it
- It does not have a bug tracker, or 'canonical' tarball location
- It installs things in SuSE-specific locations like /usr/share/dtds, and
  scripts in /usr/libexec
- It uses perl-XML-Simple, unlike other perl utilitites like intltool, which
  use perl-XML-Parser. This is a problem for us, since perl-XML-Simple is
  in Fedora Extras atm.

Matthias