Re: Trying to reach consensus for the proposed modules

  Hi Paolo,

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 00:45 +0100, Paolo Borelli wrote:
[...]
> The naive way to go at this would be splitting g-p-e in two (things that
> could go in the desktop like pygtksourceview, pyapplet etc and things
> that are not required for the desktop). However this distinction sounds
> extremely artificial to me and would double the workload of making
> releases etc. Gustavo made clear that he does not want to maintain two
> packages instead of one just because of bureaucratic issues and I
> totally agree with him.

  It's true.  Especially due to the nature of CVS, moving files around
from module to module is painful..

  However, I'm willing to make an effort and split g-p-e in two, but
only if it has to be included in gnome desktop (otherwise it's wasted
effort).  In fact, after seeing the discussion, I realize that if g-p-e
is included in the desktop, it has to follow the gnome schedule,
therefore wrapping libraries that do not follow the gnome schedule will
create problems; i've experienced them already in the past.

  Let's see.  If I'm not mistaken, the modules wrapping gnome desktop
libraries are:
  - gnomeapplet
  - gnomeprint, gnomeprint.ui
  - gtksourceview
  - wnck
  - totem.plparser
  - gtop
  - nautilusburn
  - mediaprofiles

Leaving out:
  - gtkhtml2  (didn't this use to be in the desktop?...)
  - egg.trayicon  (egg.* these are copy-pasted, not wrapping anything,
actually)
  - egg.recent
  - gtkspell
  - gtkmozembed
  - gdl
  - gda
  - gksu, gksu.ui

  That would be a near perfect split.  I guess it would involve some CVS
surgery work, but the end result wouldn't be so bad...

  Cheers.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic