Re: Kick libxklavier from the release set and make it an invalid dependency?

Le mardi 28 f�ier 2006 �9:47 +0300, Alexey Rusakov a �it :
> Elijah Newren wrote:
> > Hopefully the subject grabbed the right peoples' attention because
> > I've gotten no response to
> > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/release-team/2006-February/msg00176.html.
> >  I discovered via bug 331413 that libxklavier has a version newer than
> > the ones uploaded to http://download.gnome.org/sources/libxklavier.
> > This presents a problem because we can't use the newer version in the
> > release set unless it's on gnome ftp.  If we get no newer versions
> > then we're faced with build bugs that will never be fixed.  There are
> > multiple possible solutions (I just picked the most likely to get a
> > response one for the subject but it wouldn't be my first choice):
> >
> >  - Get the tarballs uploaded to gnome ftp
> >  - Remove libxklavier, and make it a blessed external dependency
> >  - Remove libxklavier from the desktop, and make any functionality
> > depending on it only do so optionally and not compiled in by default
> >
> > Comments?
> As far as I know, libxklavier is a freedesktop.org project nowadays, so I
> think the second solution is the most reasonable one.

Note that we'll probably want to take the same decision for pkg-config,
since the released are uploaded to
http://pkgconfig.freedesktop.org/releases/ and we have to upload them to
the GNOME ftp too :-)

Choices a and b look reasonable. b is probably a bit simpler for us in
the long term. It probably makes sense to upload the latest release to
the FTP for 2.14, and bless it as an external dependency at the start of
2.15.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas press�