Re: Metacity Compositor

Hey, we do have a compositor in Metacity. It's not really ready for prime time-- there are a few remaining bugs (mainly, that on startup it makes some windows 100% transparent until the next workspace switch and that sometimes it loses minimised windows so that you have to search around for them). Soeren was working on it until RH reassigned him; I'm trying to bring it up to release quality, but it's a lot to do on your own.

I very much agree that Metacity needs a basic compositor. In fact, perhaps it will be possible to release the current one by commenting out most of the stuff that doesn't work (drop shadows and a nice minimise animation are actually the parts which currently work the best). If anyone would like to help I'd be very happy to clue them in on what needs doing where.

peace

Thomas

On 15/12/06, Alex Jones <alex weej com> wrote:
On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 22:42 +0100, Thomas Wood wrote:
> Would it not be possible to have a really simple compositing manager in
> Metacity? This seems much more in tune with Metacity's remit than
> anything else (perhaps drop shadows and a nice minimise animation are
> the only two things I would improve).

I'd really like this, too. It can't be /that/ much work, surely?