Re: Moving spellcheckers into the Gtk+ stack

tor, 07 12 2006 kl. 13:31 +0100, skrev Marco Barisione:
> Il giorno gio, 07/12/2006 alle 12.28 +0100, Paolo Maggi ha scritto:
> > > 2. Include a standard language picker widget.  Lots of applications
> > > are going to want this, and it's going to become messy if people can't
> > > just drop in something.  This has applications beyond spell-checking
> > > too.  I personally feel that it's nicest to check words in the union
> > > of selected languages, so that users don't have to micro-manage
> > > settings for each UI element that they may potentially be typing in.
> >
> > I agree.
>
> For long texts it would be good to have an algorithm to recognize the
> language of a single paragraph, Microsoft Word does it, but I don't know
> how it works.

So far as we spell check as each word is entered, if we hit above say
90% known in one dictionary then it's probably that language. A good
guess is easy to make and will often be correct. Naturally this solution
is far from perfect but it should give us a good indication within the
first sentence or so. Or am I just spouting bull?

- David Nielsen

--
"Ridicule s the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible
propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them.”