Re: Proposal: NetworkManager for GNOME 2.18.

On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 10:30 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Dan Williams">
>
> > If it's a priority, it can certainly be done.
>
> I don't think this is wildly important - it'll just increase maintainership
> requirements for you unnecessarily.
>
> What we do need, however, is some kind of co-operation between NM and the
> GNOME System Tools or other network configuration tools. This may involve
> replacing network-admin entirely (and have better fallbacks for non-Linux
> systems or crappy wifi chipsets when using NM).

Separated as they are, there are things to improve in both concepts, and
users would be certainly happy to be able to manage things from both
feature sets, so it makes much sense to integrate.

If the plan were to ditch network-admin, I'd recommend at least using
liboobs as the "safe" fallback, it already manages static configuration
for ethernet and wireless interfaces for many Unices quite reliably, and
other desirable stuff.

If we don't ditch network-admin, what about a "enable roaming mode"
checkbox that deconfigures the wifi interface and lets NM do its job?

Regards,
	Carlos