Re: Clarius

On 30/08/06, Thomas Wood <thos gnome org> wrote:
> Scenario 2) I go to use another machine that's mounting
> the same NFS home directory, or is otherwise getting the
> same GConf values.  This machine is running Gnome 2.14,
> which doesn't include Clarius.

The same thing would happen if you went to a machine running a Gnome
version prior to that which Clearlooks was available in. Or if you
selected a theme that you have installed locally, or any other
combination of possibilities. I think it is slightly unreasonable to
assume we can never add new themes.

Just because we've done things that make using multiple Gnome versions
difficult in the past doesn't mean we should repeat them now.

> Interim 2) I utter some choice words and post a flame to
> Slashdot and/or OSNews.  I go to the theme manager and
> change my theme back to Clearlooks.
>
> Scenario 3) I go back to do some work on the machine that's
> running Gnome 2.16.  See scenario 1.

It's running Clearlooks, but with a slightly "updated" appearance.

> Friends don't let friends churn keys.

I know several people have already pointed out the relevant points about
the change, but I just want to reassure you I did consider these
scenarios before I made the changes.

There were several reasons for the change. Firstly, I wanted to make
sure we didn't go through "appearance churn". The new cairo based
clearlooks engine provides several changes to the UI. I wanted to make
the 2.16 appearance more consistent with the 2.14 appearance. I also had
several people mention to me that they did not want Gnome to go down the
"glossy appearance" route. It was therefore critical that the glossy
scrollbars were toned down before the release. Unfortunately I was under
the impression that I made this change before the UI freeze, which I now
realise was incorrect. Secondly, the change did not affect any
translatable strings, so I assumed it did not affect the string freeze.

The reason I felt it necessary to make our own gtk+ theme (in
gnome-themes, rather than relying on the one provided by gtk-engines),
is that we probably will want to make more conservative changes in the
future than the author of Clearlooks wants to make.

Having spoken to Richard about this problem (unfortunately he has been
very busy and we didn't get a chance to discuss it before), he seems
willing to keep the Clearlooks gtkrc as conservative as Gnome wants it,
and put more exciting changes into a separate gtkrc. With the permission
of the release team, I would be happy to revert the changes, and change
the one line that makes the scrollbars blue in the Clearlooks gtkrc.

If the theme author is okay with it, this sounds like it would make
everyone happy.

James.