Re: patch to vino 2.12.0 to remove gconf dependency

On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 09:59 +0100, Sebastian James wrote:

> You're also right that the config format that I present is not
> suitable
> for integration into the maintained package, being a rather random,
> line
> based file format. I submitted the patch partly in order to comply
> with
> the licence terms of vino, rather than with the expectation of having
> it
> integrated, and partly to see what interest there might be in this
> work.

Just for reference, nothing in the GPL requires you to send your
modifications upstream.  If you never distribute your modified
Vino, you don't have to do anything.  If you distribute it, the
GPL requires you to provide source code (upon request) to those
people to whom you distributed it.  It does not require you to
share every modification you make with the original authors.

This is not to say that you shouldn't share your modifications
upstream.  I think it's generally a good idea to work with the
upstream maintainers of a package as much as possible.

--
Shaun