Re: Please review po/LINGUAS patches so that people can build Gnome from CVS

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, Rodney Dawes wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 16:58 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> > On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> >
> > >                                                              The new
> > > intltool just does an AC_SUBST(ALL_LINGUAS), which may or may not cause
> > > sed to break, depending on whether there are any newlines in
> > > ALL_LINGUAS.
> >
> > And that's regression AFAIU.  It's rejecting input that was
> > accepted before.
>
> You're welcome to file a bug against autotools. But quite frankly, sed
> has never accepted that input. This is not an intltool-specific issue,
> and I will not add code in intltool to work around one symptom, when the
> problem can occur in any AC_SUBST() call. I've explained the issue in
> bugzilla and pasted a script there as well, which shows the issue
> outside the scope of autotools. If you want something to parse the
> variables and strip out newlines, it's going to have to be done at the
> right level, in autotools.

Is there an unwritten invariant that every variable defined in a
configure.in file should survive AC_SUBST?  I don't know why you
keep blaming autotools.  As a user I don't care what autotools
does or doesn't.  What I care is that the new version of intltool
breaks my app.

What you are saying is like we change g_unichar_isalpha in glib
to call libc's isalpha and when people complain that it doesn't
work as expected on some systems, we point them to libc...

> -- dobey

--behdad
http://behdad.org/

	-- Dan Bern, "New American Language"